What is Content Type Hub in SharePoint 2010?Content type hub is a new feature which comes with Managed Meta Data Service in SharePoint 2010. I have worked with SharePoint 2007 and I know that there is a problem for creating an enterprise library and sharing them across the site collections.
There was no out-of-box solution to share content type which is created under a single site collection.
New Managed Meta Data Service in SharePoint 2010 has overcome this problem. Using this new feature a content type which is created under a single site collection can be shared across multiple site collections.
How to create Content Type Hub in SharePoint 2010?
Below are the steps to create a Content Type Hub in SharePoint1. So let's start content type hub by creating a site collection.
2.After creating site collection, go to Site Actions->Site Settings->Site Collection Feature (Under Site Collection Administration)
3.Now go to Service Application in Central Admin. Select ManagedMetaData and click on Properties in top ribbon. Enter the URL of site collection you created in step 1.(enter URL in below field)
4. Now select Managed Metadata Service Connection and click on properties, and make sure first 2 options are unchecked and last 2 should be checked, as per below screen.
6. Click on "Manage publishing for this content type"
7. Select Publish and click on ok.
8. Now create a document library in any site collection and got to settings.
9. Click on Advanced settings under General settings, and select Yes for "Allow management of content types?"
10. Now again go to the settings page of the document library.
11. Click on Add from existing site content types. As shown in below screen.
12. Select the newly created content type from the drop-down and add.
- Content Type Hub
- Content Type Subscriber
So content type hub allows us to share the content type across the site collection. This is a powerful feature comes with Managed MetaData Service in SharePoint 2010.
Hope you would like this article. If yes then please like on Facebook and leave a comment which will boost me to write more articles.